2N3440 Transistor Pinout, Equivalent, Uses, Features and More
2N3440 is a high voltage transistor available in TO-38 metal package. In this post we are going to discuss 2N3440 transistor pinout, equivalent, uses, features, and other useful info about this component.
Features / Technical Specifications:
- Package Type: TO-38
- Transistor Type: NPN
- Max Collector Current(IC): 1A or 1000mA
- Max Collector-Emitter Voltage (VCE): 250V
- Max Emitter-Base Voltage (VEBO): 7V
- Max Collector Dissipation (Pc): 10 Watt
- Max Transition Frequency (fT): 15 MHz
- Minimum & Maximum DC Current Gain (hFE): 30 to 160
- Max Storage, Operating & Junction temperature range: -65 to +200 Centigrade
Replacement and Equivalent:
2N5279, 40390, 2N3439
2N3440 Transistor Explained / Description:
If you are looking for a transistor that has a high collector to emitter voltage and low collector current then 2N3440 might be a good choice. 2N3440 is an NPN transistor available in TO-39 metal package. The transistor is basically designed for high voltage applications of upto 250V.
Looking at the specs of the transistor the max collector current of the transistor is 1A, max collector to emitter voltage is 250V, max collector to base voltage is 300V, max emitter to base voltage is 7V, max transition frequency is 15MHz, min to max DC current gain is 30 to 160 and total dissipation is 10W.
The transistor is basically designed to use in the circuits which require high voltage and low current such as inverters etc.
Where We Can Use it & How to Use:
2N3440 can be used in variety of applications that require high voltage and low current for example it can be used in these types of inverters in which the load requires high voltage but it has less current requirements. Moreover, it can also be used in switching circuits and voltage regulator circuits. But it is not only limited to high voltage circuits. It can also be used in normal voltage and battery operated circuits.
Switch Mode Power Supply
Audio Amplifiers such as guitar and other audio amplifiers
High Voltage Signal Handling Devices
Switching Loads under 1000mA
Safe Operating Guidelines / Absolute Maximum Ratings:
For getting long term and stable performance with the transistor follow the below given guidelines.
- Always use the transistor 20% below from its absolute maximum ratings. may damage it or weakens its performance. Therefore use it at least 20% below from its absolute max ratings.
- The max collector current is 1000mA so the driven load should be under 800mA.
- The max collector to emitter voltage is 80V therefore the driven load should be under 64V
- A proper and suitable heatsink is essential to use with the transistor.
- Store or operate the transistor at temperatures between -65°C and +200 °C.
To Download the datasheet just copy and paste the below link in your browser.