2N5415 Transistor Pinout, Equivalents, Features, Specs and Applications
2N5415 is a TO-39 package metal can transistor. In this post, we will deeply study the 2N5415 transistor pinout, equivalents, features, specs, and applications.
Features / Technical Specifications
- Package Type: TO-39
- Transistor Type: PNP
- Max Collector Current(IC): -200mA
- Max Collector-Emitter Voltage (VCE): -200V
- Max Collector-Base Voltage (VCB): -200V
- Max Emitter-Base Voltage (VEBO): -4V
- Max Collector Dissipation (Pc): 1 Watt
- Max Transition Frequency (fT): 15 MHz
- Max Base Current (IB): -0.5
- Minimum & Maximum DC Current Gain (hFE): 30 to 150
- Max Storage & Operating temperature Should Be: -65 to +200 Centigrade
Replacement and Equivalent
2N5415 Transistor Explained / Description
2N5415 is a PNP (BJT) or bipolar junction transistor available in TO-39 package. The transistor is designed to use in commercial equipment which are home, office, and industrial electronics. One of the good features of the transistor is its high voltage of upto 300V which makes it ideal to use in applications that require higher voltage.
The absolute maximum ratings of the transistor are max collector to emitter voltage -200V, max collector to base voltage is also -200V, max base current is 0.5A, max emitter to base voltage is -4V, max collector current is -1A and total device dissipation is 1W. The absolute maximum ratings are the ratings to show the limit of the transistor but it is not a good practice to use a transistor on its absolute maximum ratings, using a transistor on its max ratings may result in damage to the transistor or weak its performance. Therefore it is always suggested to operate a transistor at least 20% below.
Where We Can Use it & How to Use
As mentioned above the transistor is designed to use in commercial equipment for example home and office equipment and also in industrial equipment. A detailed list of its applications can be found below. Regarding the using procedure of the transistor, it is a BJT transistor therefore it can be used with the same procedure as we use any BJT transistor.
High Voltage Power Supply
High Voltage Signal Handling Devices
Switching Loads under -200mA
Small Audio Amplifiers
Safe Operating Guidelines:
To safely operate the transistor and get good performance for a long period of time it is suggested to follow these guidelines.
- The max collector to emitter voltage is -200V therefore the driven load should be under 160V
- The max collector current is -200mA therefore do not drive load of more than 160mA.
- Use a proper heatsink with the transistor.
- Always store or operate the transistor at temperatures between -65°C and +200 °C.
To Download the datasheet just copy and paste the below link into your browser.